22 August 2009

One month to go...


The real countdown begins today. It's 22 August and in exactly one month, I will be marching through security at Sky Harbor airport, bound for Miami, Florida. "Why?" you might ask. Let's just say that if this were the Oregon Trail, Miami would be my Independence, Missouri - the last taste of the familiar before a great adventure begins. Miami is the location of the Peace Corps's day-long staging event for volunteer bound for Paraguay. So even though I won't actually leave for Sao Paulo and, ultimately, Asunción, until the 23rd, today feels like a big one: one month to go.


It helps that other big milestones abound this weekend. Yesterday I hung up the orange apron at Home Depot and I'll leave Seattle for good on Monday. Ben (pictured above right buying salmon) is in town visiting and we've been having lots of brotherly fun, mostly revolving around the eating of pastries. This weekend has also been and will continue to be one of goodbyes. I'm especially sad to leave my roommate of the last year, Lenore. We took Ben to see Julie and Julia this morning and went out to brunch afterward (right). As you can see, I'm getting my last gulps of Seattle coffee.


The next post I make, "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Paraguay but Couldn't Articulate," will likely come from Phoenix. Until then, pura vida from Seattle!

No comments:

Post a Comment