10 October 2009

Che avy´a Paraguaìpe.

aAfter much conniving, I´m happy to say that I´ve escaped the clutches of the PC to internet binge for a precious hour-and-a-half this morning. It´s Saturday and I am about to embark on my first real solo adventure: a trip to the department of Guairà to spend a few days with a current agroforestry PC volunteer (PCV). However, my bus doesn´t leave until noon, so I´m here in Guarambaré for some computer time.

Life as a PC trainee in Paraguay is something of a Paradox. We´re surrounded by Americans, but are trying our hardest to integrate into our host communities. We´re adapting to the Paraguayan attitude of ´´tranquilopa,´´ but have an intense all-day, every-day training schedule in language, technical skills, and more. There´s amazing beauty, but a lot of over-stimulation. Some things are incredibly different (fruiting papaya trees, tossing trash wherever, speaking Guaraní) and some things are incredibly similar (laughing with my family, hit American music on the radio, making new friendships).

There´s so much to say and I do eventually want to get to Guairà, so I´ve tried to pick a few topics to write about to give you all a taste of life here.

Guaraní. Paraguay has two official languages. Spanish is good to get you around the cities, for official correspondence, and to speak with people if you don´t know Guaraní and want them to feel awkward. However, as one former volunteer told us, to Paraguayans, it sounds sweet when we speak Guaraní. The problem? Start with pronouncing ´´y,´´ a task which I have tried to accomplish by pulling the corners of my mouth down, bringing my tongue to the roof of my mouth, and making a sound reminiscent of the offspring of the ´´ea´´ from early and the ´´i´´ from kid. But, at least when Paraguayans speak it, Guaranì is a beautiful language with a lot to offer. My favorite aspect so far is that there are two forms of ´´we´´: one that includes everyone present and one that includes only the speaker and at least one other person. Think about it: wouldn´t it be great if English had that?

Ka´a. That´s the Guaranì name for the plant we know as maté. It´s ground up and consumed in myriad ways here. Every morning, my breakfast is kocido. To make it, you cook maté leaves in hot water, then strain the mixture, add milk, tons of sugar, and maybe a spoon of ground peanuts. My family then eats it with a spoon after crumbling many hard little breads (galletas) into it. If kocido is for breakfast, then ka´a´y (maté in Spanish) is for when it´s cold. This is a tea of maté leaves and hot water consumed comunally using a cup and metal straw, like in Argentina. The pourer fills the cup with hot water and each person takes turns emptying it using the metal straw´s strainer to exclude the matè leaves. Finally, there is tererè, the national drink of Paraguay. It´s consumed when the weather is warm. First, one crushes up to three pora ñana (medicinal herbs) in a mortar and pestle and then adds them to a pitcher of ice water. The water is then used to make tea as with ka´a´y. One person pours and everyone else takes turns draining the glass.

These drinks, especially tererè, are central to social life here. People spend hours sitting around in a circle drinking tererè and talking. It´s basically what you do to get to know people, cement social bonds, and build trust. And everyone uses the same cup!

Viveros. From my first day in Paraguay, I´ve been living at a vivero, or nursery. I couldn´t have been placed with a better host family, in part because my dad, who is a big joker and a self-trained horticulturalist, runs his own nursery out of our yard. He even lets me ´´help´´ him out sometimes. He grows many plants familiar in the states: bougainvilla, lantana, spider plants, ficus, etc. and some that are unfamiliar to me. We´re also learning how to build and maintain viveros as volunteers. Frequently agroforestry volunteers help members of their communities to set up viveros for trees (ybyra, in Guaraní). The eight of us in the agroforestry group created one adjacent to my house and we´ve planted over a dozen tree species there. Some have already germinated. I´m already excited about starting a vivero, a huerta, an abonera, or other such projects at my future site...if my community wants them!

Tranquilo´pa. This is a state of mind, a response to ´´how are you?,´´ and just a general commentary on the situation. Life in Paraguay is supposed to be tranquilo, and I try to keep that in mind when the transition from my northwestern ivory tower to this lush, messy, real world seems daunting. But all in all, I´m incredibly happy here and feel like there is nothing better I could be doing with myself. It feels like an honor to be serving the people of Paraguay (well, once I actually become a volunteer) and representing the people of the United States in this way. (Incidentally, how long ago did our beloved President win the Nobel Peace Prize!?!? I flipped out when it came on the news last night, much to the bemusement of my family here.) At any rate, thank you to everyone who has been keeping up with and thinking of me. You are all in my hearts!

Well, off to Guirá! I´ll try to sneak away again soon. Until then, jajatopata (see you!).

6 comments:

  1. My darling,
    It was only yesterday that he won. The Washington Post headline said something like, "Obama wins peace prize, brings ire and celebration". Sheesh!
    Be thankful you don't have to listen to the pundits spin their, well, punditry.
    Your life in Paraguay sounds enchanted, sort of real and unreal at the same time. You are undoubtedly in sponge mode, absorbing, learning, tranquilo-izing.
    I love you!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nieto Querido,
    Love the idea of bonding over Tea. De la verdad, " a
    drink for the Soul ".
    Your new life in Paraguay sounds fascinating; certainly, an experience of a lifetime! It warms our hearts to know that you're well, safe, and happy.
    As always, we love and miss you so VERY, VERY much.
    Hugs and kisses, G and P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jake,
    I love your blog. I love hearing about all of the food, drink and the viveros. How about growing some edibles?
    We'll look forward to more news when you are able. You are wonderful!
    I miss you and am thinking about you.
    Love,
    Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the last line of your entry - you are all in my heartS.....didn't know you had more than one. Special guy that you are!

    Love your commentary on this new life outside of the Ivory Tower. Its fun to imagine you creating viveros in your near future. How creative and fun!

    Lovies,
    ~Klight

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jake! I am so excited for you and everything you are experiencing- I am trying to imagine all the details you can't fill us in on. I'm sure your wonderful spirit is already coming throug to everyone you are meeting, regardless of any cultural or language barrier. How are you feeling about your spanish fluency? I hope better than you thought! Stay well! You're on my mind. Love, Theora

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jake,

    I am jealous, sounds like so many new and interesting experiences. I wish everybody who I talked with answered me saying tranquilo'pa. I'll be interested to see how much Spanish you end up speaking, since it sounds like you'll be mostly speaking Guarani. I'll love to hear how the ecosystems in Paraguay differ from those your are used too. Viveros and huertas!

    Weather here in boston has suddenly turned cold, and the leaves are full of color. I have been doing a lot of organizing with El Salvadorians recently, and lots of fun speaking español.

    besitos,
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete